To create Brays Crossing, a single room occupancy (SRO) apartment community, New Hope Housing transformed the former HouTex Inn. Built in 1963 to house NASA contractors, it had changed hands in the 1980s, slowly going downhill until it was declared a certified public nuisance.
New Hope Housing was approached by the City of Houston to redevelop the motel into affordable housing. Brays Crossing was financed with significant City funds, Housing Tax credits through the Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs and important grants from private foundations.
The deep renovation, directed by Glassman Shoemake Maldonado Architects, showcases the experience, skill and vision of architect Ernesto L. Maldonado, AIA.
Dynamic public art component
The building, which opened in 2010, incorporates an extensive public art display. Chicana artist Carmen Lomas Garza, drew on Mexican cultural themes to design a whimsical, four-panel, galvanized-steel mural that runs the length of the property. The mural creates a continuous artistic element facing the highway and offers beauty and noise-buffering practicality.
The entry is punctuated by stained glass created by Kim Clark Renteria. Its powerful change in colors connects the indoors to the natural world and reminds us that nothing stays the same. Life is a constant state of change and growth.
• 149 fully furnished efficiency apartments
• Close proximity to retail and restaurants
• Convenient to downtown and METRO bus lines 40 and 52
• Immaculately maintained and managed community
• Free utilities and cable TV access
• Refrigerator and microwave
• Private tiled bath
• Reception area with 24/7 front desk staffing
• Courtyard with fountain
• Outdoor cooking area built around a sport court
• Community kitchen 24/7
• Business center
• TV lounge, living/dining rooms and library
• Support services, including on-site case manager
• Movie nights and other community activities
• Coin-operated washer/dryer facilities
• Property management office
• Public telephone available 24/7[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]